Online Map Tools
Here is a list with online tools and libraries for creating interactive or static maps. The list will be updated regularly.
- DataWrapper (github): An open source data visualization platform helping everyone to create simple, correct and embeddable charts in minutes.
- Mapchart.net: generate simple, color-coded maps with different continents and regions. Make your own custom Map of World, Europe, United States or UK with colors and descriptions of your choice
- Metro Map Creator: Create subway style maps easily.
- Indiemapper: helps you make static, thematic maps from geographic data by bringing the best of traditional cartographic design to internet map-making.
- Interactive Visited Countries: A simple tool for creating two-options map and embed it into websites.
- Isomer: an isometric graphics library for HTML5 canvas.
- Mapbox TileMill: Interactive map creating tools. Compatible datasources include ESRI Shapefile, KML, GeoJSON, GeoTIFF, PostGIS, CSV, and SQLite. Inspect, order, and layer your sources to build complex maps.
- Ql_zoom: a jQuery plugin to handle image zooming.
- Zoomify: This tool makes high-resolution images zoom-and-pan for fast, interactive viewing on the web.
- GifMaker.me: Create animated gif images online freely and easily, no registration required.
- Silk: an online tool that lets you answer questions with your data by creating overviews and visualisations.
- Scale Master: a structured diagram for organizing multiscale mapping using multiple databases and design, selection, and generalization decisions.
- Color Brewer: helps mapmakers pick a color scheme that's well-suited for communicating the particular type of data they're mapping.
- Type Brewer: a tool that gives non-specialist mapmakers a chance to explore typography in a semi-structured environment.
Map Symbol Brewer: easy visualization of statistical data with map symbols, especially diagrams.
- ClusterMash (paid): a SaaS mapping platform to allow users to cluster their map markers. Allow users to upload metadata so they can filter, sort data and paginate results solely through ClusterMash.
- MapWheel: an online toposcope generator. Generating a direction plaque that shows your points of interest relative to your home location.
- Data visualization libraries on Github
- geoplotlib: a python toolbox for visualizing geographical data and making maps.
- Tangram: a flexible mapping engine, designed for real-time rendering of 2D and 3D maps.
- Geometry Demo: create Delaunay triangulations, convex hulls and Voronoi diagrams on Google Maps.
- Dezoomify (github): makes a downloadable image from an image viewable via a flash or html5 zoomable image interface..
- Freebase: A community-curated database of well-known people, places, and things.
- Natural Earth: A public domain map dataset available at 1:10m, 1:50m, and 1:110 million scales. Featuring tightly integrated vector and raster data, with Natural Earth you can make a variety of visually pleasing, well-crafted maps with cartography or GIS software.
- CleanTOPO2: a merged bathymetric and terrestrial elevation dataset of the entire world based on SRTM30 Plus-but with fewer unsightly artifacts. It is available in three versions, each designed for a different mapping purpose.